Tourists and individuals who wish to travel to Iran for business or commercial purposes can apply for an airport visa at the airport consular units of the Islamic Republic of Iran. This type of visa is also called Visa on Arrival or VOA. Nowadays citizens of almost 100 countries can obtain their visa on arrival at Iranian airports. Although there are special nationals that can’t get their visa on arrival. We talked about that topic in Iran Visa for Special Nationalities.
Iran Visa on Arrival
Iranian airport visas have been issued to more than 90 countries worldwide. Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs Department of Visa based at Iran airport, when applying for a visa, setting up a visa application form, reviews the application for a visa, and then issues a visa. This visa may allow nationals to stay in Iran for up to thirty days.
However, the Iranian Foreign Ministry has provided many facilities for guests to enter Iran. However, reports from foreign guests who received Iranian airport visas indicate that it is better to apply for a visa even though the airport does the process.
Important reasons for foreign guests to apply for a visa in advance
• Long lines for airport visa applicants that may make tourists wait hours to get a visa. (In some cases, up to 24 hours)
• Different hours to reach Iran. You may arrive at Imam Khomeini Airport at 3 am. In these circumstances, even the thought of waiting for an airport visa after 10 hours of flight is a cause for concern.
• Filling out lots of visa application forms at the airport.
• Waiting for the administrative process of airport visa issuance.
• In some cases, due to lack of knowledge of the rules, a visa is not issued
If you have already applied for an Iranian visa
• The airport visa process will be carried out at a higher rate.
• You will be more confident about getting a visa.
• No need to worry about waiting for Iran airport visa queues.
• No need to fill out multiple forms (you will get your visa by holding a passport and a reference code issued by the embassy website).
Iranian Airport Visa Requirements
• Citizens of countries eligible for an Iranian airport visa include:
Azerbaijan, Albania, Germany, Argentina, South Africa, Austria, Armenia, Uzbekistan, Spain, Australia, Slovenia, Slovakia, United Arab Emirates, Indonesia, Ukraine, Italy, Ireland, Bahrain, Brazil, Bronte, Belarus, Belgium, Bulgaria Herzegovina, Portugal, Peru, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkmenistan, China, Denmark, Russian Federation, Romania, Japan, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Oman, France, Palestine, Cyprus, Kyrgyzstan, Qatar, Croatia, South Korea, North Korea, Cuba, Kuwait, Georgia, Lebanon, Luxembourg, Poland, Malaysia, Hungary, Mongolia, Mexico, Norway, New Zealand, Venezuela, Vietnam, Netherlands, Yugoslavia, Greece, Tanzania, Oman, India
• Citizens of Iraq can obtain airport visas at Mashhad airport.
• Attendance of the visa applicant and presentation of the original passport (valid passport) with a validity of at least 6 months without any harm or objection.
• Provide reference code (issued by embassy)
• Passenger travel insurance (This policy is compulsory for all foreigners to enter Iran)
• Payment of the visa fee to the airport consulate.
If the Iranian visa application has not been completed prior to arrival and the reference code has not been received, the following documents are also required
• Completion and signature of the Visa Application Questionnaire (the questionnaires should be read and fully drafted).
• If the applicant is requesting a visa to accompany his / her spouse and children in the passport, he/she must include their exact details in the questionnaires.
• Details and photos of the spouse and children (under 18) that should already be included in the applicant’s passport.
• A new 4 * 6 photo piece (no hat, no glasses, full beard, just the face) of applicant and companions.
• A screenshot of the passport profile.
Iran Visa Fee 2019
By the time you are traveling to Iran this fee may vary. So, to make sure, simply contact Iran Embassy in your country or the Travel Agency that is doing your visa process.
Time Validation for Iran Visa:
Iran visa is valid for 3 months (90 days). People can stay in Iran for 30 days and if they want to stay more, they must request the extension. You better request it from 1 to 3 days before your staying date is over. Go to The Immigrant and Passport Police Office in the city you are staying and make your request. Google Maps or your Travel Agency can address you to these offices.
Iran International Airports
Applicants can obtain their visa from these airports:
Imam Khomeini, Mehrabad, Mashhad, Shiraz, Urmia, Isfahan, Bandar Abbas, Bushehr, Tabriz, Qeshm Island, Kerman, Kish, Ahvaz.
Contact Iran Ministry of Foreign Affairs:
Public Relations: 66739191
Zip Code: 1136914811
Address: Iran, Tehran, Imam Khomeini Street, Imam Khomeini Square
Office Hours: Saturday to Wednesday (8 till 15)